Start Date: Call for Start Date
Testing Dates: August 1, 9, and 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM
Call (814) 266-6073, ext. 133 today to schedule your pre-physical fitness test! The testing fee is $65.00. This fee is due when you test and can be paid by cash, check or money order.
- 808 Hours
- Daily schedule 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday
- Tuition: $4,481.57*
Financial Aid Available
Watch our program intro video:
Call (814) 266-6073 x233 or 1-888-434-4436
The Municipal Police Academy (MPS 0011), located in Johnstown, PA, is a certified unit of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (Act 120). Successful completion of the approved curriculum will permit the graduate to test for a Commonwealth Municipal Police Training (MPT) number required of all municipal police officers in Pennsylvania. An MPT number is essential for employment in almost all basic and many related law enforcement occupations. Cadets will be eligible for waiver certification for Act 235, armed security guard. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be eligible to apply through a municipality for municipal police certification. At program completion, the student is awarded a diploma. (Note: an articulation agreement is available with this program.)
General areas of training*:
- Introduction to the Academy
- Introduction to Law Enforcement in PA
- Physical and Emotional Readiness
- Laws and Procedures
- Defensive Tactics
- Motor Vehicle Law Enforcement
- Accident Investigation
- Motor Vehicle Collision Investigation
- Patrol Procedures and Operations
- Principles of Criminal Investigation
- Human Relations Crisis Management
- Families in Crisis
- Basic Firearms Course
- Operation of Patrol Vehicles
- Report Writing
- First Aid and CPR
- Handling Arrested Persons
- Oleoresin Capsicum Aerosol Training (OCAT)
*In an effort to stay current with changes and trends in the industry, program curriculum may change during the program year. Tuition and related program fees are also subject to change. Tuition does not include costs for books, tools, background checks, certification fees/or related program fees.
- Call the adult education career counselor at (814) 266-6073 x233 or (814) 266-6073 x133 Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to schedule a tour and/or make a registration interview appointment.
- You must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Be prepared to bring the $100 registration fee with you to the registration interview. This fee must be paid before your interview begins and is non-refundable. Payment of this fee secures your seat in the class and will be deducted from your tuition once you begin your program.
- During the interview, which is conducted by the adult education career coach, school policies and procedures will be reviewed. Additionally, any entrance requirements you must complete will be reviewed. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about the program and/or the school.
- After your interview, you should begin the application process for financial aid (if applicable).
- Once all requirements are met, you will receive a letter of acceptance from the Supervisor of Adult Education.
Still have questions? Please submit them below or call 814-266-6073 x233 or 1-888-434-4436